Global Network of Sustainable Energy Centers: A Success Initiative
The UN policy compilation report Accelerating SDG-7 Achievement highlights the centres of the Global Network of Regional Sustainable Energy Centres (GN-SEC) as "success story" and an important contribution to accelerate the uptake of integrated and inclusive sustainable energy technology markets.
The report emphasizes that "Strengthening cooperation at the regional and sub-regional levels is critical to address different areas, unique challenges, and to promote innovation, investment, enhance cross-border connectivity, capacity building, south-south cooperation and synergetic actions to advance energy, climate change, environment and other SDGs simultaneously."
The Global Network of Regional Sustainable Energy Centers (GN-SEC) is an innovative south-south and triangular multi-stakeholder partnership established by UNIDO in partnership with sub-regional economic communities/organisations (RECs) and their Members States (MS), to accelerate the energy and climate transformation in developing countries. Since 2010, UNIDO assists RECs in the establishment and operation of sub-regional sustainable energy promotion centres.
The gradually expanding partnership comprises a sub-network of centers for the African and the Arab region and a sub-network for Small Island Developing States. Currently, the network is expanding to Central America, Central Asia and the Himalaya-Hindukush region.
A presentation on the current status of the GN-SEC is available here.
- ECOWAS Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (ECREEE) in partnership with ECOWAS
- Regional Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (RCREEE) in partnership with the Arab League
- SADC Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (SACREEE) in partnership with SADC
- East African Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (EACREEE) in partnership with EAC
- Pacific Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (PCREEE) in partnership with SPC and SIDS DOCK
- Caribbean Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (CCREEE) in partnership with CARICOM and SIDS DOCK
Centres in the preparatory phase:
- Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Centre for the Hindu Kush Himalaya (REEECH), in partnership with ICIMOD
- SICA Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (SICREEE) , in partnership with SICA
- ECO Clean Energy Centre (ECEC), in partnership with ECO
The GN-SEC is currently becoming a formalized global platform to advocate for SDG#7 (affordable and clean energy), SDG#9 (industry, innovation and infrastructure) and SDG#13 (climate action) and joint interests in international policy processes. The platform is hosted by UNIDO in Vienna, Austria and it provides a "virtual" maker-space for south-south cooperation activities and joint project proposals. The platform provides also an interesting forum to exchange experiences and lessons learned on methodologies related to sub-regional cooperation and institution building.
To know more about GN-SEC please read here.
Source and Image © GN-SEC