New ALER Market Sheet – Angola
In May 2020 ALER started publishing Market Sheets, where we provide the latest information on the PALOP markets in a simple, fast and easy way. There were already published the Market Sheets of Cape Verde, Guinea Bissau, São Tomé and Príncipe and Mozambique.
We now announce the publication of the last Market Sheet, about Angola, which includes the latest information on legislation, tariffs, projects, programmes, and stakeholders for the various market segments.
Don't miss all the information about this market of enormous potential and great dynamism, as confirmed by:
- target of 800 MW of renewable installed capacity corresponding to at least 7.5% of the electricity generated in the country by 2025
- Publication in 2021 of the Regulation on Production, Transmission, Distribution and Commercialisation of Electricity and the Regulation on Independent Production of Electricity that established the system of Binding Renewable Production and the system of Independent Renewable Production, respectively
- Preparation by the Economic Commission of the Council of Ministers of a framework of Incentives to Private Investment in Renewable Energies, which will materialise with the approval and creation of some specific tax regimes for these technologies, as well as mechanisms to safeguard the exchange risk or default by the Single Buyer
- Preparation of a Model Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) for power plant projects using renewable energy which was in public consultation in June 2019
- Start of construction of the 7 solar power plants included in the project promoted by SunAfrica and implemented by MCA for a total of 370 MWp
- Signing of the concession contract for the 50 MW solar PV project in the Namibe province of ENI + Sonangol, approval of the draft PPA and definition of the tariff and authorisation for indexation
- Signature of a Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Energy and Water and the Consortium of TOTAL EREN and Angola Environment Technology for feasibility studies for the construction of a solar PV plant with an initial capacity of 30 MWac/40MWp, which could reach 80MWac/100MWp, in Lubango, the capital of Huila province
- Support programmes from various cooperation partners, including the AfDB, which approved funding of USD 1M for Independent Power Producers in Angola to encourage the private sector to invest in renewable energy, and conducted a study on the Opportunities of the Mini-grid Market in Angola
- Creation of ASAER - Angolan Renewable Energy Association
These Market Sheets aim to provide a brief overview of the renewable energy sector in the PALOP countries and list the main existing or planned programs and projects. They work as a summary of ALER's reports and priviledged information, highlighting only the most relevant data, whenever possible with links to access documents and additional information, which makes them more useful and easier to consult. All written information can be complemented by more detailed and personalized data to be made available by the ALER team. They will be periodically updated to ensure access to the most recent data.
This is an exclusive service for our Members or sponsors. To have access to all the Market Sheets and their updates, as well as all other benefits, become our Member. Discover all the advantages of being our Member here and be part of ALER!
Alternatively, if you just want to have access to the Market Sheets and/or take advantage of them to gain more visibility, you can become a sponsor of this service. Check out our sponsorship package here.
To serve as an example and to allow potential interested parties to understand the type of information provided, the Cape Verde Market Sheet is available here for free download to the general public.
The Market sheets are only available in portuguese for the moment, but if there is a demand ALER can arrange for their translation.